Friday 30 December 2016

History at 70MPH?


30 December


There’s a government plan to allow ‘selected’ learner drivers to drove on the motorway if their driving instructor says they are able to do so. Even experienced drivers get caught out on there, as seen with a coach has over turned on the M40. So now the motorways will be even more dangerous when that one comes in. Imagine a learner driver driving at 70mph when someone is in trying to escape from cops and comes flying past at a ton or more with several cop cars trying to intercept. I can see the learn panicking and all the instructor can do is to give instructions and maybe use his break peddle. Who thinks up these crazy ideas. And speaking of crazy ideas …


Mad Maggie, she of poll tax craziness, failed to fill in her poll tax registration form and was warned she could be fined for not doing so. It took two attempts to get it done cos the council sent her the wrong form to start with. This is an interesting little story,  http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/margaret-thatcher-received-a-warning-to-pay-up-her-own-hated-poll-tax-reveal-secret-cabinet-papers/ar-BBxHMv8?li=AA59G2&ocid=spartandhp a footnote to her final fall from grace, which was the whole poll tax idea. She had been warned about bringing this one in and yet being the arrogant person she was, she ignored them – and paid the price for it; oh dear, how sad, what a pity, never mind!


These papers, realised at long last, show just one instance of pollical folly, but it makes me wonder how many more there waiting to be discovered. How many more prime muppets have made such monumental cock-ups of that sort. I’m sure at some time in the future there will be more such stories to come out about what happened in Downing Street. What was the truth behind the death of that scientist found dead in Oxfordshire? What were the real reasons that lead Terrible Tony to pick a fight with Saddam? How about the truth about the Falklands War and the miner’s strike? And don’t forget the death of Diana, Charlie’s first wife.  All these answers won’t be forth coming in our lifetimes and maybe won’t be of interest to those who will get the chance to read them.


The real interest in these papers is with historians, not the general public. I know people who consider history as being a waste to time and boring. ‘After all,’ they say, ‘there’s nothing we can do now that it’s all done and past us is there?’ I find that really sad. My BA hons is in history so such an attitude makes my blood boil. History is something that I have always enjoyed, even back in school, and of course, I still enjoy it. I just wish I could remember everything I have learned and read over the years. One Sunday I mention this to a teacher friend of ours and she that it was impossible to remember everything you have read and learned. That put my mind at ease somewhat; and yet, and yet … … …


Jan turned up here yesterday with three sprogs in tow. Actually, it didn’t go as bad as I had thought it might. Mind you, I did put my head phones and played an ELO CD and the Beatles Revolver so I didn’t hear much at all. But I did keep an eye on though. I think it was a useful exercise in that Billy and Vicky now know there is not enough for all three of them every other weekend. As it is Kile sleeps on a camp-bed beside the front door, which is not ideal but is workable.

No go, sorry but the uploader isn't working for some daft reason, so no photo for today.

Today’s funny …

'Grandad, do you know how to croak?'
‘I don't think so, Steven, why?"
'Because Dad says he'll be rich when you do.'
          

No comments:

Post a Comment