Monday 27 April 2015

Nepal ...



27 April

We have a mistle thrush visiting our bird table, so while Jan was busy making videos, I was busy taking stills, 28 the last time I looked. They won’t be edited until Wednesday I think, seeing as we are busy for the rest of today and tomorrow. Besides, I might get even more shots, and perhaps better ones later this afternoon.

There has a lot of workmen walking about out back and eyeing up what needs doing where. Some time I ago I mentioned that the tiles covering the outside of the upper floor of our building has asbestos in them. The council has at long last decided that they are going to have those old tiles removed and some new covering added. There are three blocks on this site, all with the same tiling on them and seeing as they are starting on the flats opposite us, it’s going to take some time before they get to us. However, no matter where they start erecting the scaffolding they need is going to be a bit of a job on its own, not so much erecting it as such, but in having to carry it from out front on the road. I can see us losing all our bird visitors when they start properly.

Mother Earth has had a good old shake and yet again people have died in their thousands in Nepal. Many more are injured as well. Getting into the area normally is a task in itself, but getting help in is going to be even harder, simply because of the urgency needed. Here in Dorktown we have a large contingent of ex-Gurkhas and of course they are now mobilised themselves to collect cash to send out to help.

The reason we have so many Gurkhas is that we have an army base just outside town which happens to be the HQ of the Gurkha Signal Regiment. As they come to end of their military service they move into the town and settle – or at least those who don’t go back to Nepal that is. In all honesty, they are a welcome addition to our town, so much so, a new Gurkha War Memorial has been erected in Riversley Park.

Well, Kile went off home, but wasn’t all that keen going as early as Jan took him. He loves his little brother but he does get a bit fed-up with him when he’s running around so much. Billy is late getting off to sleep and early getting up, while Kile needs to settle early ready for school. He’s very happy to come here to us where he can rest up ready for the off again. We would like to go to Bempton Cliffs and take him with us, but it seems he’s not happy with heights, and Bempton is very high indeed.

So, time for a photo then; I was hoping to post one of Bempton Cliffs that I know I have already but I can’t find it, so instead here’s another of my favourite flowers …



And to today’s funny …

A client called my help desk saying she couldn’t send an e-mail. When I was done troubleshooting the problem, she interrupted me to ask, “Wait a minute, do I type @ in lower- or uppercase?”

No comments:

Post a Comment