Wednesday 30 July 2014

Putin, Jews, Muslims and hatred and fear



30 July

Well, that’s Jan off out for the day now. She’s taking Kile and Billy and their gran down to Bourton, where I went on Sunday. The weather is looking good for them so hopefully the boys can go for a splosh, and knowing Jan, she will likely join them too. So yet again I’m left all alone to get into all sorts of mischief. Now I’m hoping she never catches on ;-)))

Sometime ago I wrote about Russia’s Putin and the danger he presents to the rest of the world. This man is a real danger and it’s one that politians have finally come to see; whether it’s too late to curtail him I’m not sure, but something will need to be done. At the moment he seems to be acting without fear of the views of the rest of the world.

The second major problem for the world today is of course, is what to do about Israel and Gaza. This part a part of the world that has caused problems for thousands of years. It all stems from when one younger brother tricks his blind father into blessing him instead of his older brother. This act set up the regions peoples to become the two separate groupings of the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 tribes that became the Arab nations. For all the years since then there has been hatred between them.

Then came Herr Hitler and WW2. Millions of Jews were slaughtered across Europe where they had spread out over the years. During the late 1940s a new state was set for the Jews, Israel and to set it up Palestinians were pushed aside to create the new state. The seeds of the modern conflict were sown, and I’m not sure where to give my support.

It would seem fairly obvious to me that Israel, knowing how it is to be a homeless state, would show more sympathy to the Palestinians, who are now currently stateless. On the other hand, the Palestinian organisation Hamas has sworn to destroy Israel. Now there is no trust between either group with Hamas firing rockets indiscriminately into Israel, who of course retaliates with full the full force of its defence forces.

The city of Jerusalem is sacred to three of the major religious groups. Christianity, Judaism and Islam all look to the city as the centre of their faith (although Islam also look to Mecca too.) Right in the middle of Jerusalem is one of the holy sites of Islam. I wonder what will happen if one Palestinian rocket was to hit it? But then of course, if it doesn’t get hit, does that show that the rockets are not being fired indiscriminately?
In his Jack Ryan novel Sum Of All Fears, Tom Clancy had the rather fanciful idea of bring all the groups together and installing the independent Swiss forces to police the streets of Jerusalem. However, as in the novel, any such idea would be scuppered by the odd one or two idealists who wouldn’t accept anything like that, simply because Israel, as a state, still remained in place. And so the conflict continues and it seems, will do so for ever while hatred and fear lives there.

Enough of my ramblings, here’s another photo … 

This is what I hope Jan sees when she arrives in Bourton today.                      

Today’s funny …

Tom was sitting in the coffee shop one day looking so glum. “Whats wrong?” I asked. “My mother died last month, and left me 60k!” “Sorry to hear!” I replied. “Then my father died last week and left me 20k!” He continued. ”Wow , that must be so hard, loosing two parents in a month!” I replied. “Yeah, then today my brother died and left me 10k!” I put my arm around him to comfort him, and he looks at me and continues, “the worst part of it is there is no one left for next month!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment