Monday 3 December 2012

What day is it; too much to do and speed cameras



3 December 2012

IT IS MONDAY - NOT TUESDAY; IT IS MONDAY, NOT TUESDAY; IT IS ...  I'm sure you get the idea from that.  I had made a suggestion for dinner this evening and then started to wonder whether it was worth while doing it seeing as Jan is going out tonight - bible study night.  But that happens on TUESDAY, not MONDAY!!!  I think I have it straight now ;-)))

So, it's cold here in Dorktown today, but sunny also.  I'm tempted to go out and get some photos but I have so much to do already; like sorting out the photos I already have waiting in the camera for processing; like having five novels started; like get some housework done; like catching up with my reading - a hard task anyway seeing as I am slow reader.  Going out to get more photos when I haven't dealt with the last set is just getting me further behind!  I'll decided after lunch ;-)))

Parking within the town centre has been an issue ever since it was pedestrianised.  Barriers were installed a good few years ago now and are raised between 10am and 4pm.  After 4pm only blue badge holders, security vans and trucks delivering to shops are allowed in there.  But when the barriers go down at 4 o'clock there's usually a queue of cars waiting to drive in there.  Very few of them meet the criteria for entry.  The council now run traffic wardens who patrol the areas every so often.  I've yet to see then in town but they must be going in at some time because the claim is that over 2000 tickets have been issued. 
Along similar lines, it is claimed that most speeding cameras have been turned off across the country.  A loud chorus of anger was on going over them wasn't there?  Do you remember it?  The claim was that they were just a cash raising measure for the councils and cops.  If that was right, then why have they been turned off now?  The operators say they cost more to run than was gained from them.  Hmmmmmmm ...

Now, if they really wanted to raise a lot of cash easily then they should consider put cameras on all traffic lights and pedestrian crossing.  There is hardly a light change when some moron is trying to beat them and goes over the junction at the last minute on when the lights are on red.  Now that one would raise a lot of dosh!

According to BBC Midlands Today, the Hussy Hospital has been highlighted for the 3rd year running over its high mortality rate.  Currently there is yet another Norovirus outbreak being tackled.  I've always felt that I'm not the only person in town to be concerned about conditions there.  I was right too.  A letter to the News printed today makes some very good points about the place; things like the number of hand wash/sterilising solution points being used yet nothing is done about how much dirt we take in there on our footwear and clothes.  Another issue he didn't raise is that of the lack of personal hygiene that seems to be fairly high here in Dorktown, and not just from the public either; I've come across some very smelly doctors working in A&E!  All of it adds to how the hospital works - or doesn't work.

Jan just got me all excited there for a minute.  I saw her with her binoculars up looking at the birds out the back.  I do the same too when I'm not busy on my 'puter.  "Ron, I've got a firecreast on the tree," she says.  I rush round to have a look and just got my bins on it when it flew off to the tree about 20 yards off.  A firecreast would be a life tick for us.  But they fairly rare really so we now think it was a goldcreast instead.  It's still a good bird for an urban garden though!  And a year tick too ;-)))

So now it's photo time ... 

A nuthatch ... another nice one we would love to see out back.

And today's funny ... 

The Reverend John Duff was the priest in a small town in Ireland. One day he was walking down the high street when he noticed a young lady of his
congregation sitting in a pub drinking beer. The Reverend wasn't happy. He walked through the open door of the pub and sat down next to the woman.
Miss Fitzgerald", he said sternly. "This is no place for a member of my congregation. Why don't you let me take you home?"
Sure," she said with a slur, obviously very drunk.  When Miss Fitzgerald stood up from the bar, she began to weave back and forth.  The Reverend realized that she'd had far too much to drink and grabbed her arms to steady her. When he did, they both lost their balance and tumbled to the floor.
After rolling around for a few moments, the Reverend wound up on top of
Miss Fitzgerald, her skirt hiked up to her waist.
The pub landlord looked over and said,"Oi mate, we won't have any of that carrying on in this pub."
The Reverend looked up at the landlord and said, "But you don't understand, I'm Pastor Duff."
The landlord nodded and said, "Ohhhh well, if you're dat far in, you might as well finish 'er off."                

No comments:

Post a Comment